Sunday, August 3, 2014

Grace Saving Grace

                                                            Grace Saving Grace


 I just read an article about why this mother wasn't going to teach her child/ren to share which had a good message initially but something bugged me about it. I couldn't figure out what it was that was so troubling and then I remembered this experience.

I was at the pool last week with my four kids. Grace who is 11, Sam who is 10, Jack who is 6 and Tommy who is 4. When we got to the pool we noticed two chairs sitting off to the side so we claimed them as our own, threw our stuff down and headed to the pool. Once break was called we all headed back to our spot.

Gracie was sunbathing in one of the chairs and Tommy our youngest was in the other while Sam, Jack and I covered the ground with our towels next to them and began basking in the glorious sunshine. When all of a sudden, this little girl around the age of 10 came over with three of her friends and started voicing her concern as to where their two chairs went to. And when I say "voicing her concern" that is putting it mildly. She was quite demanding and her mother, in a failed attempt to calm her down, made excuses rather than just saying "They are gone." "They were not your chairs." "Throw your towels on the ground and move on."

 Judgements began to swirl around in my thoughts and I was starting to get quite annoyed with this little girl and with her mother. Finally, before one more negative negative entered into my soul I hear my daughter's voice. "You can have my chair if you'd like it." My first reaction was to say "No Grace you don't have to share your chair." But when I saw the face of this little girl who had just been loved, like Jesus would love someone, I realized the bigger picture here. I kept my mouth shut and proceeded to let Grace hand over her chair. A high five transaction did occur between myself and my daughter as I sat in disbelief of Grace's selflessness. 


I got it! We live in a society that says "It's yours." "You had it first so share it if you want or don't." "Do whatever makes you happy." I saw myself in that writer's story last week, I started to become the "not teaching my child to share" parent at the pool, I didn't say it out loud but it was viciously circling  in my head and heart. While I understood what this writer was saying, I was reminded by the actions of my daughter that LOVE is what changes people. I also realized it's not our job to discipline other people's children or to teach them that the world doesn't revolve around them by allowing our children to hold on to what is rightfully theirs to begin with.

Our job as parents is to lovingly teach OUR children those life lessons, especially when we have the opportunity to detach ourselves from those things we hold dear, whether we have it for five minutes, two hours or 30 years and others will most definitely take notice.  True happiness can only come from doing the will of God, not hanging on to things that ultimately do not last anyway.

 What is even more ironic is that my daughter taught me something that day. She reminded me of something that day. Love. God who is love is never outdone in generosity. NEVER. So while I wanted to stick it to that girl, ignore her obnoxious whining and say tough stuff, another little girl said through her actions, "My neighbor's wants are worth more than mine."

I think what was more striking was how this little girl's attitude completely changed. She softened right away and was genuinely moved by Grace's small act of love. She even asked Grace "Are you sure?" Her cold hostility turned into a favorable warmth. As did mine. I have absolutely, with words, tried to teach my children that we give what we have, even when it's difficult and especially when it is not convenient but to see my child actually live it in the flesh, inspired by the Holy Spirit no doubt, was a beautiful lesson in humility for me that day. Grace saves me in more ways than one.


Ringrazio Dio. Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment